Monday, August 20, 2007

Step #1 of Reducing Our Carbon Footprint

Our current Carbon Footprint:

Patrick - 6.2 Tons of CO2 per Year
Catherine - 6.2 Tons of CO2 per Year

Our-Carbon-Footprint: 12.4 Tons of CO2 per year

Step 1 - CUT DOWN YOUR COMMUTE
Prius, Schmius! Choosing an energy-efficient car or converting to alternative fuels like ethanol or biodiesel helps, but you've got to stop driving so much to really make a difference. Check out www.511.org's new Commute Cost and Emissions Calculator and find out just how much your commute is costing your wallet and Mother Earth. Commit to one car-free commute day; 511.org can also help you join or start a carpool.

Currently
Cutting down my commute is easy. I work out of my house. I know that may seem like a cop out, but I rarely drive anywhere.

Catherine is different. She carpools everyday day with Kimberly to Starbucks. Her daily commute is 10.6 miles. According to PG&E's Carbon Footprint Calculator, this commute leaves a carbon footprint of 3,012 lbs. of CO2.


THINGS WE WILL DO TO REDUCE OUR-CARBON-FOOTPRINT:

We are going to sell my car. I drive a 2006 Ford Fusion SEL V6 and it is going away as soon as I find a willing buyer. Interested? Visit my post on Autotrader.com.